“I Created A Monster!”

November 21, 2014 was the day that Nintendo released the monstrosities referred to as, Amibo. These Amiibo are figures that are able to interact with both the Nintendo New 3DS and Wii U systems through various games via near field communication(NFC) . One of the first games to use these figures was the game that launched with them, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

The Official Box Art

In said game, you have to register your Amiibo and give it a nickname.  Once you have accomplished that, you can begin training your Amiibo into the most monstrous figure around.

The Amiibo adapt and learn your fighting style, so if you decide to use the same move repeatedly, the Amiibo will do the same. An example of this conditioning is shown in Chadtronic’s video below where he gets his Pikachu Amiibo to use the special move, Thunder, over and over.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIfYVQnYmc[/youtube]

The Amiibo do not stop there. You can use them to fight your friends and their own Amiibo or you can take them on transmedial adventures through upcoming games for the Nintendo systems. The upcoming 3DS game, Code Name S.T.E.A.M., allows you to use your Amiibo from the Fire Emblem series to fight alongside Abraham Lincoln against an alien force. One who knows about the Fire Emblem  series probably never imagined their favorite characters stopping an alien invasion, but with future Amiibo support, anything is possible.

Fire Emblem Amiibo
Fire Emblem Amiibo
From left to right: Robin, Lucina, Marth, and Ike from the Fire Emblem franchise

They will be invading other games like Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy + and One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X as well; to provide you with custom costumes or unique fighter planes based on Nintendo characters.

To others they may seem just like DLC in the form of a figure, but Amiibo are a bit more personal. You watch them grow as you train them personally in Super Smash Bros and then see them jump to different games to interact with them. In a sense, they are a bridge that connect various games to one another and the more you cross that bridge, the the larger its transmedial story becomes.

6 comments for ““I Created A Monster!”

1. mgaughan
    February 10, 2015 at 1:47 am

One of the things I really like about amiibo is that they can be used in many different Nintendo games. That’s what really sets them apart from other games that use NFC figures like Skylanders and Disney Infinity. I myself have a Link amiibo that I have trained to level 50 in Smash (that I need to continue training because I don’t really like how he fights right now). Rinku, my Link amiibo, has also unlocked a new weapon for me in Hyrule Warriors (the Spinner from Twilight Princess) and a costume in Mario Kart 8 for my Miis. The only thing I will disagree with you about is the “monster” part. Rinku’s not a monster, he’s like a son to me; a son I named, raised, and continue to care for today, even in his box.

2. February 11, 2015 at 1:14 am

With such a strong focus on Amiibos use in gameplay, I’m very curious to hear what you think about the Amiibos commercial status in relation to other Nintendo accessories. Now that they’ve launched with a cushy tie in alongside the much anticipated release of the new Smash Bros Nintendo’s Amiibos have taken center stage to be frequently critiqued by many a longtime Nintendo fans. From what I’ve read the add-ons feel to some very vocal fans like a new way for Nintendo to capitalize on the action figure integrated into game market that seems to have been popularized by Disney Infinity and Skylanders. In other words, this add on feels like nothing more than a pricey action figure. You mention finding there to be a personal feeling with playing with an Amiibo and I hope you can expand on that, is it similar to leveling up a Pokemon, or something entirely different? As a Nintendo fan, I do hope this isn’t a weak cash grab in the accessories market, and I’m hopeful some of your insight on this can continue to convince me that Amiibos are a genuine addition to gameplay! With so few upcoming titles that integrate the Amiibos, I’m on the fence here!! Although, I think I’m starting to tip with the possibility of playing my favorite Fire Emblem characters with Abraham Lincoln AND ALIENS! That’s nearly too ridiculous to pass up.