Sword and Sworcery

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk2fjtryfYc[/youtube]

I took a look at the game we are discussing today in class, Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery. I have only completed the first session thus far, but I wanted to blog about that, and my experiences getting aquainted with the game. The first “place” the player finds himself is in this rather empty space with this terrible animation of a hilarious looking illustration of a “man” with a suit and tie on. He has these tiny little spindly, fibrous spider stick legs, which made me laugh out loud! The game has an interesting concept. The man in the suit and tie giving the gamer an introduction talks about the “adverse side effects” and “acute soul sickness” that have the potentional to influence the gamer upon exposure and playtime of Sword and Sworcery. As we enter this sort of beach scene we are among sheep and animals and various points of interest that we can narrow in on to get an explanation as to what they may mean. As we go through this process, I noticed that it is a very text oriented game, which rocks! It reminded me of Zork in terms of the text explanation, and a sort of innovative improvement of the interactive fiction and adventure text genres. And the language is so casual and modern, with a built in sense of humor to it, always chiming in, like the narrator in George of the Jungle.  There is a really sweet tweet option that you can use to tweet what they say and about the game as you play. How 2011!

I noticed that the setting of Sword and Sorcery had a lot of Asian influence. I also noticed how high the voice of our protagonist is, and when I looked more closely, that it resembled a chick! I probably completely spaced out and missed something, but is our main character a girl? Migi Taw is the Kingdom of the Cloud, which is where we are trying to embark to on this adventure.  The game is an enhanced play of the always pressing upward movement of SuperMario. I also saw similarities in it to One Chance. The game is so saturated in a music soundtrack like both, and uses that to convey the feel and portray the scene. Some of the challenges that must be faced in Session 1 are attempting to slay the Timberwolf type figure and the Grim Reaper. I know I am not the only person tickled with this game. I think it has the cutest sense of humor of any game we have played thus far this semester. The part where we have to go across the tongue-bridge into the cave that was a man’s head was the funniest thing ever! It was so rediculously great. I immediately thought of the song Crooked Teeth by Death Cab, if anyone catches that reference. It is as if, in this part of Session 1 that we have entered a hellish lair, where we must retrieve the Megatome otherwise known as the Burdensome Book. It is here that a huge Grim Reaper awakens with our disturbance and chases us. That was really scary– the way it glided so quickly after me! The music made everything so much more intense.

At the end of Session 1, we return to the village in a thunderstorm. We come through the gate of the village and Longfellow closes the gate behind us. There is definitely the sense that protection is needed. When we arrive inside his hut, we take out the Megatome and it becomes this great record that rises above inidcating completion of Session 1, and then the gamer is transported back to the room with the man with the suit and tie! Quite charming! The other thing I did, when I was checking out their website was look at what they called the “Audience Calibration Procedure”. It was about 1 minute 40 seconds long I believe, and it was like a trailer to Sword and Sworcery. But to me, that was just as funny as the game! It reminded me of a South Park saga, meant to be so rediculously dramatic and intense, yet it is such simple animation, which makes it so hysterical. Ultimately, with so many connections and references to today’s technology uses in the game, I think it might make a crack at poking fun at that too!

sworcery