On Bethesda and Mods

Bethesda Game Studios is known for the popular Elder Scrolls series, and in more recent years, the Fallout franchise.  Their open-world RPGs have consistently topped the charts on sales and replay value. But ultimately what makes these games so popular is the ease-of-access for modifying the games files, and the helpful communities that have evolved around this key feature. So the question is, who really makes the content players keep returning to? The developers, or the fanbase?

The original Falllout games were published by Black Isle Studios, and where spiritual successors to the Wasteland series by Interplay Productions from the 1980’s. A post-war aesthetic mixed with the crumbling, post apocalyptic landscape helped the games to stand out against other RPGs of the time.The first two games are set in California. Fallout 1 and 2 did not officially recognize any mods, although they do exist. In 2008, Bethesda Studios released Fallout 3, set in the ruins of Washington D.C. and the surrounding area. As someone from Fairfax county, it was fun to explore this alternate version of my home.

I can see my house from here!
I can see my house from here!

Later, Bethesda published (but did not develop) Fallout: New Vegas, a full size game by Obsidian Entertainment, many of the developers had worked on the original Fallout series. The game ran off of an improved version of Fallout 3’s engine and was set back on the west coast, specifically in the Mojave Desert and the ruins of Las Vegas,  several years after the events of the second game.  There is debate over which game is the best, but one major change (aside from transitioning from isometric to first person) was the support of mods. Bethesda had supported mods since their first 3D game, Morrowind. In fact, the Fallout 3/NV engine appears to be a close relative of Oblivion engine. The inclusion of mod support, as well as the release of tools like the Creation Kit and the G.E.C.K. for Skyrim and Fallout, respectively, boosted the fanbase of each game.

“So what?”, you may ask, “Why do I care?” Because, after a certain amount of hours clocked into a game, it gets stale. You’ve beat every boss, cleared every dungeon and have the best weapons and armor. Maybe you’ve even played through a few times with a different play style each time. But eventually, you move on to another game and leave it leaving dust. But if there are ways to put user-created content in your game, near infinite replay value is generated. You might set the game down for a few months only to go check out some new mods and start a new file. Maybe this time I’ll explore massive new lands, or completely change the balancing of the game.

MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE
MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE

Not all mods are serious though, and that’s the beauty of it. The original game developers are limited to what fits within the lore of the game world, but modders can do whatever they want. You could even have Thomas the Tank engine instead of dragons if you so desired. But the real question here is, do people come for the epic gameplay with the added benefit of mods, or do they come for awesome fan-made content running in a neatly organized game world?

The Ikea-born, fated to save the flat-packed Swedish furniture of Skyrim.
The Ikea-born, destine to save the flat-packed Swedish furnishing of Skyrim.

3 comments for “On Bethesda and Mods

1. blissfulmomo
    March 20, 2015 at 12:21 am

I really enjoyed this because all I could thing of is all the silly mods I have seen over the last few years. I know of one for Dragon Age that let’s you put cartoon animals all over character’s clothes essential making their outfit super cute! I wasn’t aware that people used mods to create more quests. Although I have seen mods used for Amnesia to create custom stories. I love these custom stories because it gives the player a chance to form a story within the world of Amnesia. It’s like a long tale of death and horror. Some of the stories are filled with horror elements while other ones are very silly. Do you think the ability to make such mods is a new form of almost fan fiction created within the world of these games or the ability for a player to map their own story within the game

2. March 22, 2015 at 6:13 pm

In all honesty, I return to Skyrim because there is always something to do. But I know what you mean about mods. I have so many mods for Left 4 Dead that it’s ridiculous. They’re all really stupid too. I have one for the charger that gives him a rainbow trail and every time he charges Wrecking Ball plays. Snoop Dog is also the smoker which is awesome. These mods allow a different kind of immersion. Other than making the game incredibly fun and silly, mods make a game more than just a game. They add a kind of player control to something they didn’t create at all. They didn’t have a choice in the plot or characters but they do have a choice with mods. Mods let a player have some form of control and when a dev company doesn’t allow them, it creates a barrier between the player and the game.

3. Ariel
    April 17, 2015 at 1:39 am

While I would certainly argue that mods do not make a game and that the original content must be worth playing on its own first, I find myself strongly agreeing with your argument that mods can make games more compelling to replay. As a lover of Fallout 3, I have played the game MANY times, making different choices and acquiring different weapons, companions, etc. without any mods. On its own, the game has proven to be enjoyable enough to warrant several playthroughs, but, over time, even the most engaging of parts of it have grown repetitive. Mods — such as the Simple Realism mod, which makes enemies more powerful, supplies harder to find, and increases things like fall damage — have helped to add some freshness to missions and gameplay with which I have grown far too familiar, injecting new challenges and fun into the old. Once more, I would be lying if I said I did not also enjoy the sillier mods provided by the more creative members of the modding community, such as the mod for Left 4 Dead 2 that turns all zombies into Teletubbies, or the mod for Skyrim that replaces mammoths with giant chickens. Overall, I agree that quality makes a game enjoyable many times over, but it’s mods that keep its fans continually active years after the game’s release.