Complicated Pixels: Lack of Racial Diversity in Video Games?

So in thinking about video games and the “space” and venues in which they are played in, more commonly in ones living room induced some ideas about the WHO is playing video games, rather than the WHERE.  According to statistical data, conducted by The Kaiser Family Foundation:

“African American youth between the ages of 8 and 18 play games 30 minutes more per day than white youth, while Hispanics play an average of 10 minutes more.  Aside from DVR playback, marketers might want to note that African Americans exhibit higher usage levels for watching live TV, DVD playback, and video game usage,” says the 2011 African American Consumer Report” (Tinyuoe)

In my opinion, the only way to answer this question is to examine, who or whom is making these video games behind the scenes.  If you take a look at video games the majority of characters are predominantly white males.  One of the games that I played briefly with my family was Prototype 2, and the main character Heller.  Heller is a (pictured below)

Heller

is an African American protagonist who two years after the events of the original game (Prototype 1), Sergeant James Heller, after returning from touring in Iraq, discovers his wife and daughter to be declared dead, causing him to rejoin the military in the fight for NYZ against the Mercer Virus. Heller is briefed on the previous outbreaks in Idaho in the 60’s and in NYZ in the events of the first game. He later finds Mercer and begins chasing him. After a series of sudden stops, he is attacked by one of the special infected. He kills it, but Mercer injects him with the virus, for reasons unknown. And so throughout the game you see him shape shifting and killing people and such.  But not to dwell on Prototype 2 while it is an awesome game, there is a deeper question.  In playing Prototype 2 with my family I was totally oblivious that he would be black, I thought that it would be your standard white guy but was pleasantly surprised.

Besides this rare game, I was happily surprised to see the main character as African American because typically African American and Hispanic video game characters are usually depicted as the polar opposite.

For example,

“A recent study by University of Southern California Professor Dmitri Williams found an overwhelming lack of diversity in video game characters. Williams, a social psychologist by training, compared the ethnic diversity found in his survey of 150 games across nine platforms and all ratings to categories contained in the American census. He found that fewer than 3 percent of video game characters were recognizably Hispanic and none were playable. Native Americans and biracial characters were non-existent. African Americans enjoyed a rate of 10.74 percent, with a big caveat; they were mostly athletes and gangsters” (New American Media)

For example, a game which reinforces the stereotype of a gangster, gun-toting, “brotha” or “ese” from the WestsidE!, is Grand Theft Auto as well as Saints Row. In both games, the user is able to create their own character with a variety of features, hairstyle, black, white, Hispanic  fat, skinny, muscular or otherwise.  However, the setting is based in a gang infested turf that is based primarily in a poor neighborhood or “da hood,” which is representative of an urban setting in an impoverished neighborhood which is usually associated with ethnic minorities.

You are probably asking, why so hung up on the race thing?  Well, as an African American as well as a “noob” video game player, and as well as a parent of two kids who like video games and have an aversion to them.  I think that it is important for children to have video game players that they can relate to and that they can find similarities in.  At the same time, I don’t think that race should be so much of an issue because I think video games are a chance to allow yourself to escape.  I mean such games as World of Warcraft, and other role playing games which allow you to choose your character to the extent that you don’t even have to be human you can be an elf, or like in Skyrim a wizard or a witch! I mean the imagination in these games are endless.

Or even games like Mass Effect 3 allows the user to build an avatar  and create whatever diversity they want, including the chance to see themselves reflected in the game they are playing.

But conclusively, I think that video games have come a long way and can only get better with time.  It is my hope that video game developers realize the appeal to create characters which reflect their demographic in positive non-stereotypical aspects.

Works Cited

“Hispanics and Blacks Missing in Gaming Industry – New America Media.” Hispanics and Blacks Missing in Gaming Industry –  New America Media. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2013. <http://newamericamedia.org/2011/09/gamer-to-game-makers-wheres-the-diversity.php>.

Hurley, Leon. “Prototype 2: Why the hero isn’t just a “generic Caucasian guy” Playstation Magazine, December 6, 2011. Web.

“TheGrio.” TheGrio. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2013. <http://thegrio.com/2011/11/11/blacks-play-games-but-dont-design-them/>

34 comments for “Complicated Pixels: Lack of Racial Diversity in Video Games?

1. jleake33
    February 24, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I totally agree with this. Majority of the video games that I play are sports related, and even with the dominant number of minority characters, they even allow you the user to create a custom player and modify their appearance to be any race, size, etc. I feel, like with what you mentioned, that games are a way to escape. They can be a way to feel a sense of belonging and even inspire. It makes me dumb founded that there are so many games out there that either feature a minority character as something that is seen as stereotypical, or they are not even featured at all. Do you think that all games should have an option to edit a certain characters appearance? Or yet, should all games have guidelines that enforce including characters of all races? Personally, I think it shouldn’t take rules to make these changes, but it is way overdue that even in the world of video games, everyone is equal.

2. aallen13
    February 25, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I agree with your post as a mixed person it can be very annoying to see a character in video games or any other type of media negatively stereotyped. People should also think about how it affects the gamer who is for example a 12 year old boy whether Black, White, or Hispanic playing a Grand Theft Auto game or similar one. Kids are more likely to act or dress a certain way influenced by the media (video games included). They think it’s okay to act or dress a certain way because they saw it in a movie or video game.You would think characters would be more diverse since there are so many diverse people in the world.

3. erosenzweig
    February 27, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I’d also like to add that even in games which allow to you choose the race of your character, White is the default. Why is this? I’m going to purport three theories, with absolutely no evidence, and leave it up to a grad. student to go find the data to falsify/confirm my claims.

1) The Makers of Video Games Are White. Had I to venture, if only based on statistics (http://cra.org/uploads/documents/resources/taulbee/CS_Degree_and_Enrollment_Trends_2009-10.pdf) regarding those graduating from college with degrees in computer science, I’d say the majority of programmers and game designers are White (and Asian.) Under-represented in their creation, this could retard change within the gaming culture.

2) Marketing People Suck. We’ve all heard stories of TV studios forcing changes to shows to make them “more accessible” and “appeal to a wider audience.” Basically, less diverse. Why? Because studio exes believe, and maybe rightly so, I don’t know, that a Black audience will be more apt to watch a White cast than a White audience to watch a Black cast. Huge money is invested in media before it walks out the door and hits the market, why would studios risk alienating audience, ruining chances to make back their investment, if they can avoid it?

3)Our Wider Culture Still Sucks. The stereotypical portrayals you’ve mentioned are accurate, so accurate in fact they can still be seen in our media portrayals of those same ethnic groups in TV and Film. Video games are just tapping into the same culture of racism that exists at large.

Put ’em all together and what do you get? It would seem to me that any solution to the problem will involve more diversity behind the camera, so to speak, and a change in the hearts of the audience that will convince the people who control (different than make) the production of our media, video games and all, that we are ready, nay willing, for more diversity.

4. Rjb
    March 22, 2013 at 5:53 am

There are loads of games that have diversity. Mortal kombat Dragon age Dark souls Final fantasy Elder scrolls Street fighter Fallout Dragons dogma etc. Even metal gear solid. Solid snake is mixed race as he is half Asian. These are just the games I own that have diversity. I mean what about villains. We should get more black and Hispanic villains right. Since most of them are white. Either way as default white characters or not video games were invented by white people and are therefore a part of white culture. Why should white people be forced to make there own culture diverse no one else has too.

• tenshi yuki
      March 25, 2013 at 3:25 am

Never heard more excuses than rjb post right there, like really, you request for more black and hispanic villains yet state why does white culture have to diverse their video games. But don’t worry though, video game sells continues to deteriorate as companies continues to think like you and the republican party, who clearly doesn’t realize that the current american demographic is no where near as whitewashed as they want it to be.

5. Pinoy
    March 29, 2013 at 2:21 pm

He not requesting black and Hispanic villains you fool. He is stating a fact that you want more non white protagonists yet you want the villains to remain white! Why not add diversity to antagonists as well? If you think for one second that its ok to say that then that’s just plain racist.

• Tenshi Yuki
      April 4, 2013 at 2:33 pm

1) Calling someone names reduces your argument, if you want to be taken seriously, approaching a comment by calling someone a “fool” is not a way to do it.

2) No one stated that we don’t want black or hispanic villains. You’re making things up. But just like how most television in the early times mostly portrayed black people as thugs, the last thing we need is to have more negative portrayals of blacks and hispanics than positive, especially when a lot of the black portrayals are heavily stereotypical and/or non-existant in the first place.

Ultimately, the first priority should be to get their black and hispanic protagonist portrayals right and have more frequent. Once we start to have a decent amount of black and hispanic heroes that aren’t ridden with stereotypes, than we can focus on antagonist. One step at a time.

6. Barrett
    March 29, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I think you are out of order tenshi yuki for attacking Rjb’s comment. I think it was a fair comment. Why not argue that antagonist’s should also be subject to diversity? Sounds fair to me. I’m all for diversity. It makes games more realistic. I think you should always have a choice to choose your main characters race and gender despite the default character but you need to be careful making games. Take resident evil 5. The makers were criticised for being racists because the main character was white in Africa. You could therefore argue the same in western country’s. obviously it’s ridiculousness and should not matter but its hard for makers because the smallest thing will cause problems for race. Gta San Andreas is a prime example. The characters are mainly black but then you complain that it is stereotypical due to the nature of the game but previous gta games where the same but with white people. So what’s the difference. You want games to portray non white people as being vigilant and nothing that can make them look bad. Maybe people don’t want non white people in games for this exact reason. Something is going to make you cry racist.

When game devs create games I’m sure they don’t sit around a huge table and say right I think we can all agree that we must use only white people and nothing else. Agreed! Right then lets make this game. Of course they don’t. Not to mention that a lot of games that have white main characters such as resident evil series is actually made by Japanese devs I believe.

In conclusion I’m all for diversity but its hard for devs to do without facing criticism. Your damned if you do and your damned if you don’t so what are they to do. At least if there all white there is no danger of offending anyone.

As for the there is not enough diversity behind the camera remark that was made what do you want done about that? Lay off half the workforce behind games and replace them for non white people. Right because thats fair. Oh I’m afraid we’re going to have too sack you it’s not because your bad at your job it’s basically because your white we are going to replace you with a hispanic man who has little to no experience in game development. People get jobs because they are qualified for them not because of there race. If black and Hispanic people do not pursue a career in video game development then that is there problem not white people’s. I see this thread as being racist towards white people because basically what is being said is there are too many white people in video games and too many in video games development and we don’t want them there. It’s like me saying that we need to add diversity to basketball because there too many black people involved in it.

• nelsondee0085
      April 1, 2013 at 2:13 am

Barrett –

I am here to address you and your comment in which you said, you see this thread as being racist towards white people.

I would like to start by saying that IN NO WAY shape or form did I intend for this blog to be racist towards Caucasian people. The statistics which was posted in my blog indicates that I was NOT the first person to notice and observe the lack of racial diversity in video games.

SECOND, I never said that :we should replace WHITE video game developers with African American or Hispanic video game developers.” Why the hell would I support replacing someone in their job with someone less qualified regardless of race.

I simply expressed that, video game developers should become more culturally diverse and be more aware that other races and nationalities do play their products. Recent studies suggest that,”… blacks, Hispanics and those in lower socioeconomic groups play, spend more time, and buy more video games than any other groups, according to The Kaiser Family Foundation.

Mainstream companies would be fools not to be aware of that fact and act accordingly.

Also, SINCE you consider this blog to be racist towards white people, I would like to say I respect your opinion because the great thing about America is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how STUPID and insensitive and borderline racist their comments may be.

One should REALIZE, that this is a new millennium. There are people of many different ethnic backgrounds that contribute to the sale of video games, I believe everyone should be acknowledged equally. I realize that this may not be a reality but some sort of effort should be made none the less.

By the way I am not just speaking for not just African Americans or Latinos but for all underrepresented persons in all industries.

DIVERSITY is a beautiful thing, the fools who do not acknowledge diversity are destined to live their dreary and dismal lives in the past, while the world around them continues on.

Also I believe there should be more white players playing basketball as well, BUT that is a different subject for another time. 🙂

7. Barrett
    April 2, 2013 at 10:19 am

The replacing game designers was a comment made at what erosenzweig said not your blog and if you read a single part of my comment then you should have taken note of me saying more than once that I support diversity. I’m not criticising your blog I’m speaking about the other comments that have been made. But this thread is racist and as for the statistics that you added. Il say its a load of rubbish. I’m white and I was not involved in any of those studies so I can therefore assume them to be false since not everyone was.

Ps. If you think there should be more white basketball players then that in its self is a racism also. Why should there be. White people tend not to get involved with it same thing applies to video games. To hell with black and Hispanic people anyway. What about Asians. In most games you get the choice of creating your own race characters black and white are always available anyways. Take skyrim for example. You don’t get a Pakistani, Chinese or Japanese race to choose from. So why just fight for black and Hispanic?

• nelsondee0085
      April 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Barrett –

AGAIN, you are not reading WHAT I am saying!

In my response THIS is what I said:

“One should REALIZE, that this is a new millennium. There are people of many different ethnic backgrounds that contribute to the sale of video games, I believe everyone should be acknowledged equally. I realize that this may not be a reality but some sort of effort should be made none the less.”

My comment was all inclusive of all gamers of every minority. I never attempted to turn this into a black v.s. white issue.

My comment on more white basketball players was a hint of my sarcasm, which was in response to your generalization in your last comment which you stated “it’s like me saying we need to add diversity to basketball because there too many black people involved in it.” I really don’t care who plays what sports, talent is talent!

And lastly, you say you support diversity yet further in your post you say “to hell with black and Hispanic people,” I would say THAT is pretty ignorant and uncalled for.

My blog post was meant to inspire a conversation, in an academic setting and bring up pertinent questions which require further analysis of race/demographics in gamer culture.

8. nelsondee0085
    April 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Also for your review:

Here is an academic, scholarly accredited article, since you think my statistics were “rubbish.” Like I said, I can’t be the only one thinking about ideas of race in terms of game studies. See pg. 23 and onward

Works Cited

Dickerman, Charles, Jeff Christensen, and Stella Beatríz Kerl-McClain. "Big Breasts And Bad Guys: Depictions Of Gender And Race In Video Games." Journal Of Creativity In Mental Health 3.1 (2008): 20-29. Academic Search Complete. Web. 2 Apr. 2013.

LINK:

http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?sid=cb4a4e98-63f8-4df8-bfe7-326fb1b707a3%40sessionmgr114&vid=4&hid=114

9. chocobunnysk
    April 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Wow this comment section is a mess. Can admins reorganize the reply chains to correctly reflect who is talking to whom? At minimum could we at least follow a twitter like format for responses like @Barrett?

Anyways, while I do agree that diversity can add to a game, we’ve got to ask the question on how much such a change will truly affect a game. Would NPCs react differently to a character had they been of a different race? Or is it just a matter of representation for the sake of a character ‘role model’ (depending on the game) that is not inherently a white male.

I would have found it useful to see what kinds of games these demographics have played. In the multiplayer scene of many first person shooters, race really has no meaning, as there is not much of a story that most players pay attention to, nor do mechanics of the game reflect any difference between how, for example, a white or black character plays. I would think that it should matter more in more story-based games, such as the single player experience of the same first person shooters or more commonly, role playing games. Sometimes I’d wish character race would actually have an effect over the storyline more than just the superficial aesthetics such as speech patterns and clothing.

Fantasy and Sci-Fi tends to sneak in this stuff through the abstraction of race. Star Trek is a good example of how alien races are representative of real world races, though who is who is up for discussion. There have been minor details put into this, such as when trying to disguise yourself as a Thalmor(elf) race when you’re clearly a Kajiit(catperson).

@Barrett Re:Skyrim Black characters are essentially represented through the Redguard, and as for other ethnicities, there wouldn’t be any place in the lore where they would fit in neatly, and having them just shoehorned in for the sake of diversity is just plain silly. And yes, adding a little diversity just opens up the floodgates on why other ethnicities and races don’t get included, then it becomes a mess. @Barrett Re: Developer’s nighmare Pretty much I agree with you on the media having a field day if developers tried to come up with something outside of everyone being white. Don’t agree with you on the Racist Towards Whites attitude though. I believe the OP just wants to say that it would be nice if developers eventually make more character-focused games with diverse characters so that everyone doesn’t have to keep looking up to the white protagonists.

@Rjb For each of those examples, could you at least elaborate on who in each game shows off diversity? Even if Solid Snake is stated to be half-Asian, is there anything within the series that hint at that lineage without degrading to stereotypes? If you really want an example of a Black antagonist, go take a look at San Adreas. Black Protagonists, Black Antagonists. I do see your point though. Developers are scared of trying to create a black (or other ethnic/race) villain and pull it off without having the media have a field day slinging around the word “racist” like mud. It doesn’t even have to be a villain. The media still has a field day when a diverse character is even featured or mentioned. I also see your point of why the default is a white male in many character creation. Reminds me of a joke in class “in real life, white male == easy mode”

@tenshi yuki I’m sorry, but was there even an argument in that post? All you did was insult Rjb and Republicans.

• April 3, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I don’t think I can re-organize the way these are threaded, but if you want to be perfectly clear about who you’re responding to, you can ‘@’ like you have, and then manually link that name to the permalink everyone else is replying to.

And speaking of everyone, since much of the back and forth here has been claiming that others are not understanding your argument, perhaps that’s some evidence that you should take greater care in expressing yourself. Grammar and correct spelling go a long way to help you make your point more clearly and effectively.

• tenshi yuki
      April 5, 2013 at 1:19 am

I did not insult neither RJB or Republicans, I merely pointed out the truth, RJB entire post were merely excuses meant to dodge around the clearly establish problem of diversity within video games. He literally try to pull every excuse under the sun to remove the very well real problem of lack of diversity within video games, with most of the excuses making little to no sense at all. But I didn’t insult the person directly, merely his arguments which was irrelevant to the claim.

The republican aspect was used as support of the my actual argument, which is that video games will continue to decrease in sales (as they have for a while now) for as long as video games continue to entirely focus towards one racial demographic (aka white males) The republican point was used in support of that, the republican party, like video games, primarily focuses towards the white male demographic, which we all know will be a minority within the next 25 years. Only until the recent to beatings by the democratic party which has a much more diverse voting bloc did the republican party finally realize that “hey, we can’t just appeal to white males anymore.” They still are doing a horrible job reaching towards the other isles, but at least they acknowledge the problem. Video games, currently, are like the republican party. They primarily develop to one aging, shrinking demographic which is the white male bloc, but as long as they only aim towards that bloc, sales will continue to decrease.

10. Rjb's
    April 3, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I thought Barrett made some good points without insulting people or taking sides so well done on that. Why so many people trying to stick it to him?

Chocobunnysk. Well most of the games I listed you get to create your own character. Can’t get more diverse than that. Mortal kombat’s main character Liu kang is East Asian and there is a large roster of Asian, black and white characters same as street fighter. Final fantasy is made up of Japanese characters with the occasional black character and no white people.

Nelsondee0085. When Barrett said to hell with black and Hispanic that is not ignorance on his behalf I would say that’s ignorance on yours. He is basically saying that there are more black and Hispanic characters in video games than there are Pakistani, East Asian or even Native American for that matter. I agree with him. Getting more people of those race involved would make things more diverse. How can you say that he is out of order? Also if America is the land of the free like you said it was then allow him to express his opinion in a forum you started without attacking anything he says that you do not approve of. I am not trying to upset anyone and I don’t think he was neither but I think what he said raised some very interesting points

• April 3, 2013 at 11:19 pm
      Barrett made some good points without insulting people or taking side

Barrett has called everyone in this thread a racist, which is both insulting and taking a side. Perhaps this is why others in this this thread are, as you say, attempting to “stick it to him.” If you don’t think that’s an insult, perhaps you should explain why. If Barrett didn’t mean it as an insult, perhaps he should have made himself more clear.

And for the record, the Constitution’s guarantee of a freedom of speech specifically does not create an obligation in any party to continue providing a platform for anyone else’s speech, for whatever reason that party feels like denying access to its platform. As the person responsible for this particular platform, I’m letting this conversation continue for the time being, but I encourage all participants to focus their responses, use evidence to support your claims, and above all avoid insulting one another if you expect to be taken seriously.

11. Pinoy
    April 4, 2013 at 8:40 am

Hey Barrett just wanted to comment on your comment. I’m not bashing your comment because I have read through it and found it quite plausible. The only part of what you said was that you found it racist towards white people. That’s fine considering if you mad this thread saying that there were to many black people in games you would be accused of the same thing. I also agree that black people already have a large prescience in video games and we should be trying to get more native americans Asians and so on since they are the ones that are missing from it. But that’s just my opinion.

@zackwhalen you have no right to tell someone that they are not allowed to feel racially abused by something I’m sure the author of this post was not and had no intention of doing so but if Barrett mistook his words and felt that way it should be rectified without trying to criticise him. Also pal we don’t need a lesson on the constitution especially since it has no barring outside of the USA. What makes you think that Barrett is from your country?

• April 4, 2013 at 9:07 am

Well, “pal”, I didn’t bring up the Constitution. RJB did, and inappropriately.

Your other comments are, I’ll simply say, off base and either trolling or willfully misreading. You are welcome to your opinion, but your summary of my opinion is completely inaccurate and unhelpful.

12. Rjb's
    April 4, 2013 at 8:54 am

Zackwhalen when did Barrett call everyone on this thread a racist? Please quote part of his writings were he said that please. All I read was him saying that its racist to basically say less whites more blacks especially since diversity spans beyond black and white. Adding more black characters to games is not diversity it’s just appealing to black people. If you want diversity then you need to add Pakistani east Asian Native American middle eastern etc not just black or else like I said your not asking for diversity are you. Plus can you explain how feeling like something is racist is taking a side. Who’s side? What side? And one more thing. I’m from Spain so I don’t know what this constitution stuff means and honestly I don’t care and I don’t need a lesson in American history thanks.

• April 4, 2013 at 8:57 am

Well, Barrett wrote:

… I’m not criticising your blog I’m speaking about the other comments that have been made. But this thread is racist and as for the statistics that you added …

And you were the one who brought up America being the land of the free, implying that that gave you the right to use this blog as a forum for your ideas. I was merely pointing out that that implication is incorrect.

• April 4, 2013 at 9:09 am
      Plus can you explain how feeling like something is racist is taking a side. Who’s side? What side?

Now, are you making a distinction between calling something racist calling someone a racist? We can walk that line if you like, but so far I haven’t picked up that specific nuance.

13. April 4, 2013 at 9:40 am

Anyway, if anyone else is finding it hard to follow this conversation, it may help if I point out that RJB, Barrett and Pinoy are all the same person posting under different names.

• Cronimus
      April 4, 2013 at 10:30 am

I’m quite sure you have slain the metaphorical dragon, Dr. Whalen.

• April 4, 2013 at 10:39 am

Sometimes knowledge really is power. (Knowledge of IP addresses, in this case.)

• chocobunnysk
          April 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm

As long as he isn’t masking as tenshi yuki, I’m fine arguing with multiple personalities. Heck, I’ve done it myself at times. You’ll never figure out who I am though. Proxys ftw.

• Savannah
      April 4, 2013 at 3:54 pm

So much winning going on here.

14. Barrett
    April 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I just thought I would let everyone know that I am also cronimus and chocobunnysk as well.

• Cronimus
      April 4, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, no I don’t think so, I will not allow you to claim to be me when I am a legitimate part of this blog. You have no power here, Barrett. Out, damned spot! Out I say!

15. Barrett
    April 4, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Also you did bring up the costitution no one else said anything about till you did

16. Pinoy
    April 4, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I gonna make one final post to the good dr. Your very perceptive il give you that but did you know that 3 people that are flat mates in the same flat that use the same Internet connection even on 3 different devices and 3 different email addresses will come of the same IP address? Does your vast knowledge that dips straight from the pool of power tell you that? I’m a guy and so is Barrett. But Rjb’s a girl. Just thought I’d let you know. But really since we are the same person I guess we or should I say I am therefore a hemaphrodite. Ps Barrett is not really cronimus or chocobunnysk. He was only joking. Bye.

17. Tienfei
    July 18, 2013 at 2:44 pm

They should include the option to create your own character model to look like any race and gender you like. Create what your own family and back family looks like if family appearances are in the game. Not everyone wants to play as a white male, a black male, a hispanic male, or an Asian male, a lesbian, a gay, or a heterosexual. Not everyone wants to play as a christian, a muslim, a buddhist etc. So while games and movies will be biased in order to appeal to people sitting inside a movie theater. But in the privacy of your own home. That bigotry doesnt need to be there since you wont offend the christian or the muslim or the buddhist if your character is gay. Or offend people who dont want to see a different race as the main lead. The final goal is to give consumers the choice and more freedom in their gameplay experience.